fao Rich Shaw Brown - the Misunderstood

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Tue Mar 4 23:14:14 CET 2008

Hi Rich and all !

         Just listening to Peely playing some Misunderstood
on the show that was "up for grabs" here recently dated 820427
(thanks again donors). He liked 'Children of the Sun' so much, he
played the next song by them as well, and paid several compliments !
         Sounds great to me, well done that Yank !

Bye
John Bullsh*t

ps lovely UB40 sesh on that show - they weren't all poppy and
   Peely loved it !

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Richard Shaw Brown <rsbj66@...> wrote:

> Terrascope-on-line-review: Like, Misunderstood : Jan 2008
>
> Category: Music
>
> RICH BROWN AND MIKE STAX - LIKE, MISUNDERSTOOD
> (Book - ISBN 978-0-9778166-1-3 http://www.themisunderstood.com )
>
> The Misunderstood were one of the most innovative and enigmatic
bands
> of the Sixties and one of the psychedelic era's best loved groups.
> Originally hailing from America, where they formed in 1964, but
first
> establishing a name for themselves in England two years later under
the
> tutelage of John Peel, their story is extensively documented
elsewhere
> on Terrascope Online courtesy of an extensive interview with
guitarist
> Glenn Campbell undertaken on our behalf by Richie Unterberger. An
> edited-down version later appeared as part of a chapter on the
> Misunderstood for Richie's book about "cult rock" artists,
published by
> Miller Freeman Books. Rick Brown was the band's singer until early
1967
> when he was drafted into the US Army, and together with 'Ugly
Things'
> magazine editor Mike Stax, they've produced this book which
details, at
> length, Rick's journey to enlightenment and beyond (how
much "beyond"
> can be gauged from the fact that he initially leaves the
Misunderstood
> and returns to the USA in Chapter 63, which takes place early in
1966,
> and there are 147 chapters in all...)
>
> The prose style throughout the book is best described as
> 'conversational', or as Rick Brown himself maintains, "it's in 1st
> person wise-guy narrative - a really funny version of The
Misunderstood
> story". Much of these conversations are obviously assumed, given
that
> Rick himself wasn't actually there at the time. If it reads like a
> screenplay that's because it ostensibily is a screenplay: Rick
again,
> "Now we have a screenplay and want to make a feature film using real
> Misunderstood music. Luckily we recorded, in Dec 1966, the classic
line
> up with Tony Hill. The book is based on the screenplay. It really
gets
> to the heart of the Misunderstood, from the inside view.... "
>
> Nowhere does it mention why, on moving to Bangkok, Richard Shaw
Brown

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com