Oops! Re: Holy Grail & Oops!

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Jun 7 13:58:27 CEST 2008

thanks John and Steve et al re Clash confusion. So maybe I was right, even when I thought
i was wrong. I've asked my correspondent to check his tape (I wonder if Peel made a back-
announce mistake, or my correspondent's tape was edited?). Maybe your rip will give a
clue as to the provenance of his glitch?

And it goes without saying, John, but when you're ripping, PLEASE leave in the night with
the closing sig and the midnight news, I am sure like many others I find these glimpses of
past events and journalistic style and practice startling and even more evocative of the
time than some of the music.

Meanwhile, here's a reminder of how the F50 of that year was spread out over shows and
with session repeats - this detail is not all in the book (I edited down) but with the help of
some of you restored this after publication (note The Police deemed among best of the
year!):

Th 20/12/79 (Best sessions of the year pt 1: Cockney Rejects, The Jam #3, Killing Joke,
Misty #1, Skids #4, Undertones #2) Festive 50 #50-41

M 24/12 Viv Stanshall (Best sessions of year pt 2: The Cure #2, The Damned #4, Secret
Affair #2, Steel Pulse #3) Festive 50 #40-31

T 25/12 no show

W 26/12 (Best Sessions of the year pt 3: Chords, Gary Numan & Tubeway Army,
Penetration #2, Specials #2, Stiff Little Fingers #3) F50 30-21

Th 27/12 (Best sessions of the year pt 4: Buzzcocks #4, Magazine #3, Merton Parkas, The
Selecter, Siouxsie and the Banshees #3, UK Subs #3) F50 20-11

M 31/12 no show

T 1/1/80 (Best sessions of the year pt 5: The Beat #1, Capital Letters, Leyton Buzzards #3,
Lene Lovich #2, The Police, Ruts #1) F50 10-1

ken