[peel] WE HAVE THE TAPES!

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Fri Jul 25 15:06:01 CEST 2008

Sorry to shout! Yes - I made the pickup last night - in a supermarket carpark
near Cheltenham - and got to meet Bryan, the seller - he's a very interesting
chap, he actually knew Peel in the late 60s / early 70s - when I have time I
will recount to you a couple of his stories. I suggested that he should join
this group himself, not sure how much he uses email, though.

He tells me he emailed Ken a reply last week offering to stop the auction and
sell to us direct - I guess Ken was away and didn't read it in time (or it's
in his spam box!). He certainly was keen that the tapes should go to
enthusiasts / archivists - so a bunch of obsessives like us certainly fits the bill! He
also said that as he is clearing some of his old stuff out he may be able to
find some more tapes - and if he does he will be happy to let us have them (he
did mention a Top Gear he used to have on reel-to-reel with a session by The
Nice - he's not sure if he still has it though).

Anyway - the tapes are in good condition, in a large cardboard box - I have
been so busy I so far have only had time to stick a couple in my cassette deck
- and am leaving in an hour for Indietracks in Derbyshire, so next chance I
get to go through the box will be Monday daytime.

The ones I listened to are (and thus probably all of them) are mono
recordings from am - both seemed to be complete shows - the cassettes are fairly
low-quality - Bryan told me he was working at the time for a major record company &
quite a few of the tapes are demos and pre-recorded tapes which he liberated
from work and recorded over. (The only thing which stopped me keeping my own
peel show tapes in those days was the cost of buying so many tapes -   so like a
lot of us I used to copy just the tracks I liked, and edit out Peelie's
links). I think with a bit of eq-ing they should sound OK - they are certainly
likely to be our only copies of most of these shows so I do think we should be
very happy with our purchase!

Cheers!

Rocker