Son House story

john183940 jt.gray@...
Wed Jul 23 20:57:32 CEST 2008

Nothing to do with Peel, just something I heard on the radio which
might be of interest to those of you who enjoyed Duff Eddies goodies.
Out in the car recently and struggling to find something worthwhile to
listen to on the radio, I chanced upon Smooth Radio, who had a
programme about Howling Wolf (the old smoothie!).  Apparently some of
the groups who hit the big time in the 60s R&B boom wanted to get
recognition for their inspirations.  Bill Wyman said that the Stones
agreed to one US gig only on the understanding that Howling Wolf would
also be booked to appear.  Sure enough at rehearsals the 'giant bear'
figure of Wolf showed up, with another black guy carrying his bags.
And if you hadn't guessed by now, on asking who the other guy was, the
Stones were told -  none other than Son House!

John Gray