[peel] Re: peel tapes and paypal

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Fri Jul 11 01:47:43 CEST 2008

Ken,

Sounds just about perfect to me - let's keep it simple and do the  deal...

Perhaps insert a caveat regarding the quality of the tapes? Presumably
they're FM recordings on decent equipment....

Cheers

Mark

>>ok, folks, back after a very long day at work failing students  (only
joking) and trying to
clear the decks before holiday from Sunday, let  me sum up where we are. What
wonderful day of activity to come home to  online...

1. we all pay dee dee £21 via paypal that he will set up and  tell us what to
do. We can sort
it all out later

2. I email the  seller, introducing myself and saying i have been asked to
represent the
largest peel listener group community on the web, which was instrumental in
assisting
with my book etc blah blah (yes it was nice to get Paul 's belated  review in
Mojo. I also got
a good one last month on pop matters website in  US, i think).

3. Our proposal is to offer to buy the tapes for a decent  price - via one of
our number
named dee dee who will also introduce himself  to you - and make the donation
to his
preferred website - or perhaps jointly  to that and John's favourite
charities (Salvation Army
and Amnesty  INternational)a

4. We would collectively over the next 12 months  catalogue, digitise, and
review the tapes'
contents, and once this process  is complete, present the catalogue and
whatever the
collection contains that  is missing from the Radio 1 official archive
(whether complete or
near  complete shows or individual sessions / session tracks) to the radio 1
archivist
Hannah Brana Martin in digital form, whom I am in regular contact with. I
also know Sheila
and the family well and will offer them the original tapes  at the end of the
process,
although I suspect sheila will say she has quite  enough cassettes in the
house already,
thank you very much.

5. we  respectfully suggest that if the seller is intereted in preserving
decently  John's
legacy, we are the people to sell to

After I've done that I  will have to back out of the selling and collecting
etc because I am off
abroad for the Scottish academic's summer break and have no intention
whatsoever of
looking at email for at least a month. After I spent half of  last year's
holiday in Switzerland
sitting in an internet cafe on the shores  of lake geneva tapping out the
last 2 chapters
against the clock while my  wife and daughter frolicked in the pool, Magda
will accept
nothing  less!

cheers

ken

PS. check out our new course, my  (additional) day job is now running this,
having written
it:<<