1978 Festive Fifty

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Wed Jul 9 00:41:35 CEST 2008

Glad to share another one of these early Festive Fifties with you.  This
one is 1978  with its mix of 'traditional' and 'new wave'.

Again quality offered 'as is' complete with editing etc.  Each Part is 1
hour long.

My personal favourites are Madam George by Van Morrison (seeing him in a
few weeks in the UK) and Rose of Cimarron by Poco.  Peel once said of
early Pink Floyd (around the Meddle time) that whatever mood he starts
off in, listening to the extended Pink Floyd tracks always leaves him
feeling relaxed.  That's what R of C does for me (particularly the hint
of a banjo ending), although lyrically you have to say it's complete
tosh. And I also like the guitar in Shot by Both Sides.

Sorry the file names weren't made more meaningful before I uploaded
them, but there is something authentic about leaving the files as Tape
074A & B.

http://rapidshare.com/files/128222027/Tape_074A.mp3

http://rapidshare.com/files/128227259/Tape_074B.mp3

After this I am on the road again, but I have been busily ripping some
more early shows so watch this space around the end of July.

P.S. I swapped players for these rips so some of the wow and flutter
problems in the 1979FF may be eliminated.

P.P.S. Just before I sent this I checked the Festive Fifty Lists on
various sites including the BBC.  These show Siouxsie
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/s/siouxsieandtheba> as No
50, but my tape and written records definitely show Poco as No 50.
Unfortunately the only bit of voice over I have is Peel referring to
Poco being No. 11 the previous year without saying where it is in 1978.
But I don't think I screwed this up as introducing Bob Dylan (No 46 in
1978) he also refers back to 1976 as the 'previous chart'.  So which is
it, Poco or Siouxsie.....

John Bravin