Holy Grail

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Sun Jul 6 16:23:34 CEST 2008

Pity this segregation business. I'm just back from Rock Werchter where I
saw Jay Z playing a peace and love set to a sunny happy crowd like they
were the house band at a seaside resort, followed by Neil Young playing
a feral, searing set that could have welded metal. Both were excellent
in their own way.  And between them The Verve played their greatest hits.

Neil played with 3 of the Crazy Horse band including Ben Keith who was a
session musicians back in the 1950s. On the big screen he looked at
least 75 years old , but if I had to choose between seeing Neil Young or
the Sex Pistols playing at a festival this summer it would be no
contest. He's playing in Kent today; if you have the time you won't
regret it.

This is my 39th year of festivals (starting with John Peel & Led Zep in
1969). Some things never change (although the toilets have improved
beyond the 100m open trench in Weeley in 1972), but one things the
Belgians have really got right is the transport.  All trains and buses
are free (from anywhere in the country) all weekend.  Now wouldn't it be
nice if Glastonbury introduced that.

John