[peel] Re: Festive Fifty Holy Grails

Roger Carruthers roger.carruthers@...
Sat Jan 26 15:32:43 CET 2008

A proper normalisation algorithm shouldn¹t do this ­ it can only increase
levels up to a maximum defined by the loudest peak; to mess with dynamics,
you need compression or limiting.
 This actually means that normalisation is often not very effective as a
means of bringing up the levels of quiet tracks when they¹re mixed in with
loud ones, unless you go through the mix and apply it to individual tracks.
Adjusting dynamics intelligently is a skill ­ hence the existence of
mastering engineers. This is something I often find myself trying to explain
to students looking for a quick fix to a shitty soundtrack.
 The nearest thing you¹ll get to a quick fix, is to go through the file and
reduce the level of any  really loud stuff, and then apply normalisation to
the whole mix, but even then you¹re probably better off just listening with
one hand on the volume control ;-)
Cheers