Like, Misunderstood: 1st published Review Jan 2008

Richard Shaw Brown rsbj66@...
Fri Jan 11 20:22:06 CET 2008

Terrascope-on-line-review: Like, Misunderstood : Jan 2008

Category: Music

RICH BROWN AND MIKE STAX - LIKE, MISUNDERSTOOD
(Book - ISBN 978-0-9778166-1-3 http://www.themisunderstood.com )

The Misunderstood were one of the most innovative and enigmatic bands
of the Sixties and one of the psychedelic era's best loved groups.
Originally hailing from America, where they formed in 1964, but first
establishing a name for themselves in England two years later under the
tutelage of John Peel, their story is extensively documented elsewhere
on Terrascope Online courtesy of an extensive interview with guitarist
Glenn Campbell undertaken on our behalf by Richie Unterberger. An
edited-down version later appeared as part of a chapter on the
Misunderstood for Richie's book about "cult rock" artists, published by
Miller Freeman Books. Rick Brown was the band's singer until early 1967
when he was drafted into the US Army, and together with 'Ugly Things'
magazine editor Mike Stax, they've produced this book which details, at
length, Rick's journey to enlightenment and beyond (how much "beyond"
can be gauged from the fact that he initially leaves the Misunderstood
and returns to the USA in Chapter 63, which takes place early in 1966,
and there are 147 chapters in all...)

The prose style throughout the book is best described as
'conversational', or as Rick Brown himself maintains, "it's in 1st
person wise-guy narrative - a really funny version of The Misunderstood
story". Much of these conversations are obviously assumed, given that
Rick himself wasn't actually there at the time. If it reads like a
screenplay that's because it ostensibily is a screenplay: Rick again,
"Now we have a screenplay and want to make a feature film using real
Misunderstood music. Luckily we recorded, in Dec 1966, the classic line
up with Tony Hill. The book is based on the screenplay. It really gets
to the heart of the Misunderstood, from the inside view.... "

Nowhere does it mention why, on moving to Bangkok, Richard Shaw Brown
(to give him his full name) doesn't call himself Rick Shaw. I call that
a wasted golden opportunity. There's no disputing that it's an
extremely entertaining read though, and also filled with fascinating
facts and facets of everyday life in the early-mid 60s. Published in
enviably thick card covers, if this is vanity publishing, then call me
vain but I'd be happy to see more of the same hit the shelves - and I
can't wait to see the promised film... (Phil McMullen)

http://www.terrascope.co.uk/Reviews/Reviews_January08.htm