LOW Classic Session 8/11/00 CORRECTED

ken garner ken_garner@...
Fri Jan 4 00:09:13 CET 2008

And to avoid any accusations of smugness or complacency on my part in
the light of the nice letters and emails coming in, here's perhaps
the biggest clunker of factual error from the book, at last confirmed
today from Hannah at R1 who has dug out the actual original official
recordings and listened to them right through over Christmas to check
what I belatedly suspected, thanks to the contents of those 17 DVDs /
torrents, you know the ones I mean. The information in the BBC Romeo
computer and archive catalogue until today was wrong, no-one knows
why or how (certainly not Hannah's doing), regarding Low's classic
live from Maida Vale session on 8 November 2000, as celebrated on
pages 179 and 304 of my PEEL SESSIONS book. There were actually nine
tracks broadcast that night, not six, and the six titles that had
been officially noted were not correct in every instance. The correct
titles in order of performance that night were:

Sunflower
Dinosaur Act
I Remember
Don't Carry It All
John Prine
In Metal
Closer
Venus
Over The Ocean

Producer / engineer Andy Rogers recalls omitting two of the live
tracks - I Remember and John Prine - from the edited repeat TX on 11
Jan 01, simply for technical reasons: I Remember had a problem with
the keyboard part sound-signal; and John Prine, infamously, thanks to
its long and v quiet fade with Mimi 'sha la la'-ing, became so feint,
it triggered the BBC's emergency tape, crashing in with a jingle and
some god-awful current smash hit, causing much embarrasment all round
that night. The version on the torrent-ed file clearly cuts off
sharply before this happens.

Anyway, the BBC data is now being amended. It's funny, but all of us
(producer Anita, Andy, etc) looked at this raw data and spotted
nothing, indeed commented on what a great one that had been, but as
soon as I had a specific new doubt in November, everyone started
remembering the other tracks and realised something was very wrong
somewhere in the catalogue. I very much hope this is the worst
instance of such a BBC documentation / omission problem the book will
throw up, but I suspect it will not be the last,

kg