Peel Headstone

ken garner ken_garner@...
Tue Feb 19 02:13:29 CET 2008

er, not entirely sure what you're implying there, mate, but, boring /
pompous polytechnic media studies lecturer point coming up, do not
make the mistake of conflating the party political position of any
newspaper with that of its readers, who may buy it or read it for a
whole variety of reasons. Nearly as many Sun readers through the 80s
and early 90s when asked described themselves as Labour voters as
Tory voters, for example. There is a significant minority of
Telegraph readers from the liberal left, while the political
positions of both the Financial Times and (most recently) The Times,
have often been to the left of their traditional readership. At any
level, the Telegraph remains a provocative, generally well-written
and entertaining newspaper, though not the force it once was. I like
to read things I disagree with, keeps me on my toes. I may buy The
Guardian sometimes for the soduko and the sports section (the
Scottish papers, including those of my first choice daily read, the
Glasgow Herald, are all full of Scottish football), but its Op-ed
pages - with honorable exceptions like Timothy Garton Ash and Ian
Jack - are totally up themselves.

sorry will shut up and go to bed now

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "thebarguest" <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> reminds me of the early 80's when mark e smith said in interviews
> that he supported thatcher - the nme were flumoxed, they loved his
> music but ........
>
> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@> wrote:
> >
> > sorry, there was a leader too, true, but both pieces have
produced
> > some comments and letters already on the Telegraph site, some
> nutty,
> > most supportive of John and critical of the paper. It does seem a
> > particularly easy and mean target to go for on Valentine's Day...
> >
> > PS. I think I should at this point point out that the single
> greatest
> > number of factual errors I spotted about Peel around his death
> > appeared in the Telegraph. Their page 3 report on the day after
the
> > funeral was particularly remiss. I have always enjoyed shocking
my
> > journalism students by saying that the Telegraph is one of the
two
> > national papers I enjoy most, and yet which also drives me crazy,
> but
> > I must say my feelings about the Telegraph have changed
> dramatically
> > since those days in late 2004. You could always trust its foreign
> and
> > business coverage, for example, whatever you thought about other
> > stuff. Now, I'm not so sure...
> >

> > --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@> wrote:
> > >

> > > This is the offending column, by Michael Henderson, in
Saturday's