[peel] Equipment

u n d i u undiu@...
Tue Feb 5 17:34:26 CET 2008

Good equipment is only a part of the story.
You also need to know what you're doing to audio.

Taping at 24 bits is absolutely great.
But 96Khz is a nonsense.
At least, tape 88.2Khz. But no 96Khz.
Why?

Because, to put it on a CDR you'll need to convert your file to 44.1Khz.
Try to divide 96 by 44.1, you'll get a crazy number.

While 88.2/44.1= 2

So your computer will make less error in the conversion.
Your sound will be better.

Now, how do you set your levels when you convert the tape to your PC?
Do you try to hit (peaks) 0dBfs? -3dBfs? -6dBfs? -9dBfs? -12dBfs? -18dBfs?

What converters do you use?(THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!)
If they are cheap converters, you wont have great sound.
If the internal clock is not good, your sound wont be good.

Let's say you have a nice converter with a nice internal clock, so you have a nice file at 24bits/88.2Khz.

What will you do to the sound before you'll decide to make the file ready for a CDR  conversion?
Normalization? How?
Eq? How?
Hiss removing? which one?

Then, what software will you use to convert the 88.2Khz to 44.1Khz? (THIS IS IMPORTANT, depending on the software and the conversion quality you wont have the same sound from software to another one)
Now, What software will you use to convert the 24bits to 16bits?(SAME THING)
Will you apply a dither? Which one? (SAME THING)

Then you have your CDR.

There are numerous parameters that could change your sound from the hardware you will use (quality of the analog to digital conversion) to the software you will use (quality of the conversion programs, dither, etc...) and also the way you tape, and what you will apply to the sound.
And also (often missed), the cable quality is really really important.

And oh...Of course, you keep the transfered file as being an exact copy from the analog tape somewhere on a HD or a DVD-R.
The CDR is just the way to listen to the thing.

Hope this helps.

-undiu.