The One That Was Played Backwards... and a bonus

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sun Dec 21 12:02:10 CET 2008

Here are the links for the show of 18th December 1973, as advertised. Apologies for the
size, but I had to experiment with settings to avoid that mp3 shuddering we all know and
fear, given the high levels of mid-low frequencies - i think - on the tape. I have also
pasted here my transcript of what's on the tape and what I know from my research to be
missing from it, having failed to recall how to do new show wiki entry for the wiki (sorry
Steve). As a bonus, I have also disocovered in a box the Offspring Christmas Special from
Christmas Eve 1996: it's highly inconsequential, but has at least two amusing moments of
audio actuality with John recording his links at home, one involving a ladder and a pile of
CDs, and one sheepdog Bridget. Happy Christmas everyone

ken

PS. Has anybody tried / succeeded in downloading the Christmas New Order special from
1998? (see previous postings) My megaupload file manager tells me no-one has been
interested. Is that right?

~~~~~~

OFFSPRING Christmas Special BBC R4, 1996-12-24, 8.30pm
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FWWA1T4T

Peel 1973-12-18 pt 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KXY87M0W
Peel 1973-12-18 pt 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CHZ8F0WX
Peel 1973-12-18 pt 3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=82LQH1PV

~~~~~~~~~~~

PEEL 1973-12-18
R1 10pm-midnight

SIG: Top Gear, by The Nice
Announcement by Stuart Grundy

Jet / Paul McCartney & Wings / LP Band on the Run
Heavenly Music Corporation / Fripp & Eno / session (20' 40")
Maybe I'm Amazed / The Faces / single
Back on the road again / Jack the Lad / session (repeat)
Liar / Queen / LP Queen
Curious & Woolly / Bridget St John / session
Scratchy / Travis Wammack /single
Bike / Pink Floyd / LP Piper at the gates of dawn
[EDIT: original tape flip lost Peel's intro to next St John session track]
~

Choosing, You Lose One / Bridget St John / session
Juiced / Jackie Brenston / LP Chess Golden Decade Vol 1
--11pm News Bulletin--
Caliban / Ian Carr's Nucleus / LP Roots
[EDIT: tape flip in copy made soon after original tape misses Peel link]
~

Jumble Queen / Bridget St John / session
Fast Lane Driver / Jack The Lad / session (repeat)
[EDIT]
~

[OMITTED FROM ORIGINAL RECORDING
I Can't Stand The Rain / Ann Peebles / single
Gonna Creep Up On You / Thin Lizzy / LP Vagabonds of the Western World]
~

Sparrowpit / Bridget St John / Session
After Hours / Roy Buchanan / LP Second album
Where the action is / Jack the lad / session
Swastika Girls / Fripp & Eno / session (18' 35")
In the Bleak Midwinter / Bridget St John / session

ends