The One That Was Played Backwards

Ed Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Thu Dec 18 03:01:12 CET 2008

Great stuff Ken: look forward to it. Also thanks for the explanation
of 'tape out/tape in' in TPS. Before then I didn't realise how anyone
could even manage to play a tape backwards, let alone accidentally.
Amusingly, the newest release of No Pussyfooting actually contains the
backwards versions of the tracks as bonuses, along with a half-speed
version which was another DJ's mistake.

I got hold of pretty good quality versions of the two Fripp & Eno
tracks, introduced by JP, a good while ago, when they were mislabelled
as a 'Peel Session'. It'll be nice to hear them in context in the show.

Eddie.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> The community radio station Radio North Angus in the East of
Scotland will be airing a bit
> of Peel history thought lost for ever this weekend. My correspondent
Andy Garibaldi,
> station DJ, and music promoter, will be devoting his show this
coming Saturday 20th
> December to a tribute to Peel, and plans to play some clips from his
almost complete, 35
> year old cassette recording of Peel's infamous Top Gear "Sounds of
the Seventies" show of
> 18th December 1973... the show in which Fripp and Eno's 'private
tape' of their No
> Pussyfooting album was inadvertently played backwards by Peel, as
documented on page
> 81 of my book.
>
> Andy Garibaldi is on Radio North Angus every Saturday from 12.30pm
to 15.00.
> For further info visit Andy's website at:
> www.deadearnest.btinternet.co.uk
> where you'll find a link to Radio North Angus and more:
> http://www.radionorthangus.co.uk/rna.html
>
> RNA is run entirely voluntarily and developed out of a network of
hospital stations but now
> broadcasts freely to the wider area. It's available in Arbroath and
Carnoustie and much of