Peel Sessions ?

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Dec 17 23:26:24 CET 2008

The Rechenzentrum CD release is indeed a puzzler: The session as broadcast was actually
only the first four of the titles I list in the book, as confirmed by Lorcan's
contemporaneous running order (here:
http://www.avistic.demon.co.uk/playlists/2001/03.txt )
but I decided to list the other 3 tracks in the radio 1 digital archive catalogue just in case.
My suspicion is one of two realities apply: either (i) these were titles of works in progress
and on later reflection the band teased them out into longer defined tracks with entirely
new titles, or (ii) the CD is of something else altogether I have missed or they submitted
but was not broadcast. A third lesser possibility is that the tracks on the CD are indeed
the Peel Session, and the titles entered in the running order at the time were for whatever
reason wrong (made up, guessed, whatever). We found no session sheet data for this one
because it was recorded in 'own studio'. The only way this is going to get resolved is if a
complete off air show tape of 18 Jan 01 emerges (anyone? anyone?), and then you Patrick
can do some compare and contrast work for us!

Chicken Shack is more straightforward. Their BBC session featuring 'I'd rather go blind'
was not recorded for Peel, but for SYMONDS ON SUNDAY, TX on R1 on 20/4/69 (as
documented in my previous book In Session Tonight), coincidentally, or rather not, the
very last edition of that show produced by John Walters, before he was moved to Top Gear
and Peel the next Sunday. This explains why the tape survived (Walters kept it in his office
over the years), and perhaps why it came to be associated with Peel, though I found no
record of it ever being repeated by him. It was originally released on one of the first
strange fruit CD compilations of 'peel sessions', 'Before The Fall', erroneously atributed to
the Peel show and also to producer bernie andrews, and a recording date of 22/6/69
which was actually the firts broadcast date of the  band's next BBC session - which this
time was for Top Gear - but which did not feature this number. That is, unless someone
has a tape of that show which proves the script was wrong...

ken

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, patrick smith <postscriptxyz@...> wrote:

> Fellow Peelers,
>
> I've come across two apparent Peel Sessions that are not referenced in Ken's book, and
I'm hoping one of you lot may be able to shed some light on them.

> Firstly, I have a CD by Rechenzentrum called "The John Peel Session" on Kitty-Yo
Records and labeled "For Promotion only".  It contains ten tracks, the titles of which
contain no resemblance to the seven tracks on the "official" session recorded on 1 August
2000 (transmitted on 18 January 2001).

> Secondly, I have a track by Chicken Shack "I'd Rather Go Blind" from a "Peel Sessions"
cassette given away with Vox Magazine (sometime in the eighties I think).  I believe this
track was also included on the CD given away with Ken's "In Session Tonight", but not
referenced in "The Peel Sessions".