[peel] John Peel - It makes me laugh 16 May 1981 - Download

Eddie Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Sat Aug 30 01:47:41 CEST 2008

Thanks again, Bill. And I have to say I agree with you on Viv and Monty
being the highlights here. The other passages, good as they may have
been on paper, suffered from having to be read out by the Radio 4
voiceover "artistes" of the day. Insufferably over-the-top Bee-Bee-See
voices for anything that has the sniff of "highbrow literature" about
it, and "comedy" regional accents adopted whenever the author happens to
have had the temerity to have been born outside Knightsbridge. Eminently
slappable, the pair of 'em.

On a related point, I've never really like Peel reading his own words. I
love his natural speech, and his writing (and am looking forward to The
Olivetti Chronicles). But for some reason he always loses something when
reading out stuff he's written himself. Even his voiceover stuff comes
across better. Can't quite explain it but the magic is lost somewhere.