Ken's Peel Sessions Book

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Aug 23 22:59:56 CEST 2008

No, there is currently no online resource of errata to my book! But I am compiling my own
marked up master copy, and have a half baked plan - don't hold your breath anyone - to
start a blog via my university website giving a kind of weekly update on various further
corrections that have come to light. I had planned to do a hard copy corrections slip - ie a
few pages you lot could stick in the back of the book - this year privately, but have run
out of time and I suspect a blog might be more visible. So, folks, please do not be bashful
about sending me anything you spot that's wrong, puzzling, or incomplete - yes, I know I
missed Van der graaf generator's session releases, for example - my full email is visible
here anyway. All comments gratefully received

ken

ken_garner@...

ps your query about which sessions are known not to exist is the big one of course. Until
my book, the R1 and BBC archivists would tell me "we don't know what we haven't got"
Why would they? Their job is documenting the vast stuff the BBC does every day now -
they are not paid to ferret around and try and find out what they might be missing from
1972! I do know that Hannah Brannah-Martin (nee Jacobs) and some Maida Vale people
are gradually starting to go through ticking off things they do have, thanks to my book,
which, by implication, will slowly reveal what they are missing. The old rule of thumb used
to be, unless it was personally produced by Bernie Andrews, Jeff Griffin, or John Walters
(and was one walters liked), nothing pre-1977 survives. But we now know that's not quite
true. Very little of all sessions (incl non-peel sounds of the 70s etc) survives from 1970-
1975, but 1967-1969 is not too bad at all. I heard that The Nick Drake night ride session
has recently turned up in an off air collection, as has the Leonard Cohen on Top Gear, for
example. Not sure that's right about Tim Buckley's 2nd, though: Bernie produced it
himself so I bet he has it and / or it's in the R1 archive.