Another Cassette Question

RobF robfleay@...
Sat Aug 16 13:33:38 CEST 2008

One of the tapes in the first batch I have from Rocker is a Pinnacle C-120.

When I played it, it started out OK but then the speed started to go wonky, like a 7" pressed off centre - every second or so the tape goes slow then speeds up again.

I can see that the tape spindles are sticking, and then when I tried to fast forward or rewind it, eventually it ground to a halt.

Winding it on with a pencil I can feel that the tape is really tight, SO my question is really what do I do?

Any advice appreciated. My Cassette deck is a TEAC V-615 - not exactly top of the range but not bad. Is this tape just beyond help or should we put this in a pile marked "problem children" and let someone more expert than me deal with it?