Wiki

ken garner ken_garner@...
Tue Aug 12 19:19:14 CEST 2008

and the wiki still has the details of what is claimed to be the 30/12/77 show, which was
actually the 28/12/77 edition. Sorry to be pedantic....

PS. re Martin's point about the continuation of mainstream stuff in the late 70s: I think it
was less that Walters and Peel were coerced, more that they wanted for a time to avoid
accusations internally of being narrow minded, by continuing to mix in the old names
(Lone Star in best sessions of 77, anyone?). Remember, from 75-78 Peel was the only late
night FM show / slot on R1 at all, obligated in theory to cover the whole area. However,
from my recent listening to some of those shared 79 shows, and my research, my gut
feeling is the tipping point, the moment of 'no turning back' may have effectively come
with the loss of the Friday show to the new Friday Rock Show in november 78. Thereafter,
I think, it was far less common to find old retainers, apart from Peels personal heroes,
reaappearing much on the show. Walters could argue Tommy was now covering that on
Fridays...  but Peel always continued to like and play Floyd (until the split), Dave Gilmour's
solo stuff, Roger and Michael Chapman, Bill Nelson, etc etc. But Peel later declared regret
that for a time the show had become the prisoner of its audience, and played too much
post punk, indie, etc and, saving reggae, a lesser variety, in the early 80s. I think he was
right; the shows of the late 80s are much more diverse than those of 81-83, from what I
have heard. But that's just me...

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, RobF <robfleay@...> wrote:

> We could also try and include the source where known - there are several folders in the
17 DVD collection that I know for a fact came from my Soulseek folder and were my
original rips from tape.