[peel] Re: 1978-07-07 Show tracklisting

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Tue Aug 12 09:22:42 CEST 2008

At 03:21 12/08/2008, you wrote:

>Dear Martin
>
>Since it's too hot in South Korea to go to bed early, I updated the
>list that was put on Wiki and made a note of the fact that one track
>is missing: 'Have You Seen Me Lately, Joan'. As this recording is
>clearly missing the beginning, I suspect it may have been played just
>before the Bob Marley track. Moreover, Mark has pointed out that my
>'old and new' comment refers to the fact that this version of the
>Pirates was a reformed band, not the original line-up. However, as you
>say, their third session too.

The mythology of the thing is that punk rock arose to fight
the evil forces of Yes and ELO out of nowhere.
In fact there was an interim stage - pub rock and Peel had
been playing that for awhile.  Stiff and Chiswick both started
as pub rock labels and only later moved to punk.
The Pirates had been part of that.  All three members had
previously been in Johnny Kidd and The Pirates as has been
mentioned  although Mick Green wasn't the guitarist who played
the solo on the original 'Shakin' All Over' - he joined just after
This playlist is kind of a before and after thing and early punk
was just one element.  A year later bands like Pirates weren't
much visible
As Ken's book shows it wasn't just a matter of playing whatever
Walters and Peel fancied - there were more conservative elements
within the BBC who didn't want it played and there was a
battle going on

martinw