[peel] Re: Kelis

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Aug 11 23:38:29 CEST 2008

At 18:56 11/08/2008, you wrote:

>haven't got a ***** clue why it was done at Abbey Road, but that's
>what the sheet says. I'll
>try and find it and see if we missed the 4th track our end, or maybe
>it was on the back!
>This is one to ask Anta Kamath about, I think. It might well have
>been a 'private tape'
>session, ie paid for by band or record company as a promo, or
>something else unusual. I
>do not recall any others being done at Abbey Road, off the top of my head...
>
>ken
>
>--- In <mailto:peel%40yahoogroups.com>peel@yahoogroups.com, Robert
>Ward <r0bertward@...> wrote:
> >
> > As I was saying before my email decided to send itself - several
> times by the looks,
>sorry about that....
> >
> > Really nice live session, I've got 4 tracks from it on my edited
> tapes - Good Stuff,
>Caught Out There, Get Along With You & Mafia - be great to hear this
>again in the full
>show
> >
> > ta
> > Rob

I remember Peel did address this on air.    What we have here is the difference
between the old and the new meanings of r'n'b
Peel heard a couple of tracks off her album - in particular 'Caught
Out There' and thought
she was a singer who could sing the old soul songs and that is what
he wanted her to do
So he booked her for a session.    By the time she came over her she
had fallen into
the clutches of the US entertainments industry.   So no time for Maida Vale
(too many photoshoots to do) and instead they did new copies of album tracks
while she was rehearsing at Abbey Road and sent them to Peel
He wasn't amused

martinw