[peel] Peel Tapes

Jimmy Stepek jimmystep@...
Fri Aug 1 12:33:41 CEST 2008

--- On Fri, 1/8/08, Alasdair Macdonald <wewalkforonereason@...> wrote:

> > Rippers:
> >
> > OK - You will need the equipment and ability to
> convert the cassette audio
> > to a lossless digital format eg WAV; AIFF; FLAC -
> Ideally you will also need
> > to be able to apply eq and maybe noise reduction, and
> normalize the levels,
> > and then create a master FLAC for archiving.
>
> If others on this list are anything like me, they may
> already have
> significant hearing loss. I have cassette tapes on which I
> can no
> longer the hiss, although I know it is present.
>
> Noise reduction is a bad idea for those who don't know
> what they are
> doing, and it's a bad idea for those with hearing loss
> to do it (since
> they won't be able to hear the artifacts and problems
> that are
> introduced). I strongly recommend that noise reduction is
> NOT used.

I'd tend to agree with Alasdair here. I would think your initial goal should be to get the best digital transfer done. Once that has been completed, copies of the archive file can then be worked on by all and sundry (although I do suggest some sort of quality control). Some people are much better at cleaning up sound than others. I tried it once and wouldn't ever attempt it again as I'm rubbish. On the other hand, I'm technically competent and I've been involved with the Incredible String Band project, Gods Holiday, doing most of the tape transfers. We have two sound guys that work together and they work well even though one is in Germany and the other in SW England. We also use a pernickety youngster, well at 30 he's young to us, for quality control that picks up every little glitch. It's worked for us; perhaps it could work for the Peel archive?

Cheers....Jimmy