[peel] Peel Tapes

Alasdair Macdonald wewalkforonereason@...
Fri Aug 1 12:02:48 CEST 2008

2008/7/31  <rockerq@...>:

> Rippers:
>
> OK - You will need the equipment and ability to convert the cassette audio
> to a lossless digital format eg WAV; AIFF; FLAC - Ideally you will also need
> to be able to apply eq and maybe noise reduction, and normalize the levels,
> and then create a master FLAC for archiving.

If others on this list are anything like me, they may already have
significant hearing loss. I have cassette tapes on which I can no
longer the hiss, although I know it is present.

Noise reduction is a bad idea for those who don't know what they are
doing, and it's a bad idea for those with hearing loss to do it (since
they won't be able to hear the artifacts and problems that are
introduced). I strongly recommend that noise reduction is NOT used.