Forgotten Fifty: The Festive Fifty (actually 61) of 1977

thebarguest thebarguest@...
Sat Sep 29 15:22:24 CEST 2007

Yes, I think JP played a lot of Bill's seminal 1981 album,
"Quit Dreaming & Get on the Beam". Around the same time (6-81)
was Bill's only (to my knowledge) solo Peel sesh which was recently
available on a torrent site, and featured one Richard Jobson.
Peely typically helped launch Bill's career in 71 by playing his
hippyish first solo album, "Northern Dream". I heard that Bill and
Peely shared a curry in Bradford in the late 70's / early 80's (prob
at the Kashmir !) - one of JP's fave places was the Pig's home area
of Shipley, a 'burb of Braddy, and Bill lived not far away .......

"Drastic Plastic" and "Quit Dreaming ...." are in my top 20 albums
of all time. Sadly, his (huge) output since around 1985 has been of a
relatively low quality but the live shows still "cut it" - saw him
in 2004 playing Be Bop stuff in Newcastle and in 05 doing a lot of
guitar maestro stuff in Birkenhead.

Cheers,
Henry Hunt

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Stuart McHugh <stuart@...> wrote:

> > The biggest surprise for me on seeing the full chart was the non-
> > appearance of Be-Bop Deluxe. I remember Peel giving Live In The
Air
> > Age some serious needle time from mid-1977.
>
> Funnily enough Tom Morton (Radio Scotland daytime DJ) made a
comment
> about how while Peel played plenty of Be Bop Deluxe in the 70s
he'd
> have been unlikely to have given it airtime after punk. I mailed
the
> show to say that I was pretty sure that Bill Nelson had been a
guest
> on the show... well, sometime this millennium. I do remember him
> chatting with John on the show sometime after 1977 (!)  but don't
> think it was a session (he did several solo ones as readers of
Ken's