[peel] Re: Comfortably Numb

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Wed Sep 12 00:13:06 CEST 2007

> <<Er, 'Ummagumma' (released 1969) contained a whole LP of tracks
> written and performed separately by all four members.>>

& imo it sounds like it!

Whereas on Meddle, Dark Side & Wish You Were Here it sounds as if "The Band"
had become something far greater than the sum of its parts, and all the
members were giving their best, not saving tracks for their solo albums.

In fact I think the live half of Ummagumma works far better than the
disjointed solo bits on disc 2 - but I think this album did act as a bit of a safety
valve for a band who might easily have fallen apart - in fact it's amazing that
they went on to acheive so much, having lost their frontman and main
songwriter - only other example I can think of is New Order - & I think they were
inspired by the Floyd before them!

Cheers!

Rocker