we now have a TOP TWENTY gaps...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Mon Oct 8 23:29:19 CEST 2007

thanks to lister Jon Anderson who pointed out to me offline... the
Buzzcocks. Doh! I'm not going longer than a Top 20 - I think I may
need to bang my head on the table otherwise - so, OK, this means any
agreed further changes / additions will result in acts falling off
the bottom...

ps. John Bravin's guess for the reason I now realise the Top Ten
below (excepting Steve Hillage) at least says something worth saying
as yet unsaid is getting there, but not quite on the money. I can
tell you what I am thinking of is a very specific point regarding the
show's history. The clue is in the date(s) of their return after the
absence...

Top 20 Longest Gaps Between Peel Session Appearances

John French
36 years
2nd with Beefheart in May 68, 3rd with new Magic Band in July 04

Incredible String Band
27 yrs
11th in Oct 73, 12th in Nov 2000

Faust
25.5 yrs
1st in June 73, 2nd in Jan 99

The Buzzcocks
24 yrs
4th in May 79, 5th in June 03

Gary Numan
21 yrs
2nd in March 79, 3rd Dec 2000

The Undertones
20.5 yrs
6th in Dec 82, 7th in May 03

New Order
16.5 yrs
2nd in June 82, 3rd in Dec 98

Misty in Roots
16 yrs
8th in May 86, 9th in July 02

Steve Hillage
14.5 yrs
with National Health March 76, with The Orb Oct 90

Wire
14 yrs 4 mths
4th in May 88, 5th in Sept 02

Echo and the Bunnymen
14 yrs
6th in Oct 83, 7th in Sept 97

Pete Astor
13 yrs 11 mths
in Weather Prophets Dec 86, in Wisdom of Harry Nov 00

Culture
13.5 yrs
2nd in Jan 89, 3rd in July 02

The Pastels
13 yrs 7 mths
1st in Feb 84, 2nd in Nov 97

June Tabor
13 yrs
5th in Feb 78, 6th in Jan 91

Llwybr Llaethog
11 yrs 10 mths
2nd in Oct 89, 3rd in Aug 01

Pulp
11 yrs 6 mths
1st in Nov 81, 2nd in March 93

Chris Cooper & Graeme Naysmith
11 yrs 4 mths
in Pale Saints Aug 89, in Lorimer Dec 00

Eon
11 yrs 2 mths
1st in June 91, 2nd in Aug 02

Orbital