Oops! Hold that Longest Gap chart a moment....

ken garner ken_garner@...
Sat Oct 6 18:49:02 CEST 2007

Well there's a clunker and no mistake: Prompted by Rob to look at my
longest-gap-between-sessions top 10 again, I noticed my maths went a
bit, er, wonky regarding The Undertones - the gap from their sixth in
82 to their 7th in 03 is of course 20.5 years, not 10.5! ...which in
one fell swoop rockets them to 4th in the chart (or 5th, if we allow
John French). Mind you, if this is the worst cock up, I can live with
it. Still plenty of time, though. I was not planning to do a
corrections update for the dedicated until after Christmas (by which
time I expect to have teased out all my worst howlers from keen
readers), but seeing as we're on this, here's an amended Top 12 as of
today - I feel this one is going to run and run!

Top 12 Longest Intervals Between Sessions

John French
36 years
2nd with Beefheart in May 68, 3rd with new Magic Band in July 04

Incredible String Band
27 years
11th in Oct 73, 12th in Nov 2000

Faust
26 years
1st in June 73, 2nd in Jan 99

Gary Numan
21 years
2nd in March 79, 3rd Dec 2000

The Undertones
20.5 years
6th in Dec 82, 7th in May 03

Wire
14 years
4th in May 88, 5th in Sept 02

Echo and the Bunnymen
14 years
6th in Oct 83, 7th in Sept 97

The Pastels
13.5 years
1st in Feb 84, 2nd in Nov 97

June Tabor
13 years
5th in Feb 78, 6th in Jan 91

Pulp
11.5 years
1st in Nov 81, 2nd in March 93

Orbital
11 years
1st in Sept 93, 2nd in July 04

Eon
11 years
1st in June 91, 2nd in Aug 02

... I only have John Fahey as doing one for Peel, does someone have
evidence of a second?