[peel] Re: Arena Special - sunday, tonite

RobF robfleay@...
Tue Oct 2 15:49:08 CEST 2007

>It's remarkable how he adapted in later years to the
>Internet and emails coming in to the programme. Somehow he
>retained this ground-level intimacy using global
>communications.

True - although there were a few dodgy moments in the early days when email was taking off and we ended up with a somewhat unexpected F50 which Peel seemed to naively accept!

>Although t'internet gets trumpeted as being democratic we
>all need a shared reference point that has integrity -
>that's what I feel we lost when we lost Peel.

Again - a fair point, although I think that the internet (and accompanying technologies) has over-saturated the underground music scene to the point where three years after his passing I'm not even sure Peel could cope with the amount of music being created and published in some format.

There was a bit in the Arena program where they express astonishment that "everyone has a home cassette recorder now!" and the Observer journalist is disbelieving at the number of tapes he listens to.

The Internet, home multi-track recording and CD-R's must have surely increased this musical output 100 fold or more?