[peel] Re: Arena Special - sunday, tonite

colin bray colinbray@...
Tue Oct 2 13:19:39 CEST 2007

My main feeling from the programme was how much simpler and innocent it all was in those days.

The bands seemed so young (or maybe that's my age) and unwordly.

The systems for sharing music were so local and ground level.

Watching this I can really see how Peel was the only national reference point for these musicians and listeners. It's remarkable how he adapted in later years to the Internet and emails coming in to the programme. Somehow he retained this ground-level intimacy using global communications.

That's what I really miss, the sense of something happening below the sight of the record business. Although t'internet gets trumpeted as being democratic we all need a shared reference point that has integrity - that's what I feel we lost when we lost Peel.

Colin.

To: peel@yahoogroups.comFrom: robfleay@...: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:50:18 +0000Subject: Re: [peel] Re: Arena Special - sunday, tonite

Watched this last night, was weird watching Peel when he was not much older than I am now - My favourite bit1) Peel trying to be cool wandering into The Nightingales gig with a scarf nonchalantly tossed round his shoulders!2) Amusing to see Robert Lloyd being all modest about his ambitions when he later went on to sign a major label deal with the New Four Seasons3) The Virgin record company bloke explaining how the process worked - he'd tape John Peel every night and then listen to it the next day in the office and then go and buy the records he liked from Rough Trade. Can you IMAGINE that being the process these days? Do you think they tape Huw Stephens every week??? It's all fcked up..the Record Companies buy THEIR records onto these Radio 1 shows and then sit back and think it's job done. I have some friends in an unsigned band that did an absolutely BLINDING Maida Vale session on the Huw Stephens show and they didn't get a SINGLE call from a record label as a result. Sad days...-----------------------------------------Email sent from www.virginmedia.com/emailVirus-checked using McAfee(R) Software and scanned for spam