[peel] Re: FLAC it is then!

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Fri Nov 30 15:35:04 CET 2007

> <<radio FM was/is broadcast at a frequency range
> equivalent to about 128kbps (or was it 192); obviously therefore,
> encoding at rates higher than this is simply a waste of space ....>>

Not so! The data lost during FM transmission / reception has already gone
when it was recorded to whatever medium - When you then encode it to digital, if
you use a lossy compression method like mp3 you are losing a "bit" more of
that valuable data.

OK you may argue that you cannot hear the difference - but look at the ever
falling cost of discspace - to me it makes sense to use wav or flac or aiff -
at least for your archive copy - it does make sense to shrink the files if they
take too long to download - but someone has made the point that in a few
years we'll have much faster transmission protocols via the internet or "Net2" or
whatever.

Cheers!

Rocker