Lossy and Lossless Audio compression

Gary domesticempire@...
Thu Nov 29 01:47:42 CET 2007

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Martin Wheatley <martinw@...> wrote:

> >Of course there'll come a time (pretty soon probably) when we all
> >have 100 Terrabyte HDs attached to our Hi-fis, networked to our
> >download machine's 10 terrabyte ultra-broadband -  but until then,
> >WAV files burned to CDRs are just fine....
> >
> >Like watching movies on your telephone, the concept of your
desktop
> >PC being your main music-playing device just seems pointless!
> >
> >Mark
>
> It doesn't have to be either  a PC or the Hi-Fi - it can be both
> I have my computer connected to the Hi-Fi so
> anything I play on the computer can go through the
> Hi-Fi and anything from whatever source coming through
> the amp can go into the computer and be recorded.
>
> martinw

Martin's dead right. In fact I have mine set up the same way.

There seems to me there exists an unwritten social imperative whereby
lines must be drawn and choices have to be made. Have both - no one's
looking. Even with relatively good sounding speakers on a computer
can't compete with a dedicated amp and matched speakers. Even a
budget hi-fi separates system from the likes of richer sounds would
give a bigger, fuller and truer sound.

Let me put it this way: It's the difference between wearing a rubber
and going in bareback. It's all about getting closer.

Oh yes!