transferring tapes

Gary domesticempire@...
Wed Nov 28 01:18:10 CET 2007

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "thebarguest" <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> Hi Music Clovers !
>
> In terms of transferring old cassette tapes of FM broadcasts to mp3
> format -
> what is the best format - 128 kbps, 192 kbps, 320 kbps or
> vbr (variable bit rate) ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> stryker

Always encode at highest possible rate and always use VBR.

MP3 is a lossy format of course so as such is always going to be a
compromise, however a Variable Bit Rate of 320 should please all but
the most pedantry audiophiles. I imagine even people with slow
connection speeds appreciate the slightly larger file sizes given the
boost in audio quality.

I'm planning to convert some MiniDiscs to mp3 but not before first
ripping them to wav which will give me an exact audio copy as a very
useful backup (one can never have too many of those), and for
torrenting in flac or probably ape, after which I shall make an mp3
version for those who prefer mp3 and wish to dl from the web.

It all depends on how much time you have or wish to put into these
things really.

Have you decided which software you'll be using?

"Creating quality audio-files using Windows, L.A.M.E., Ogg Vorbis"
Here's a good link I've had on file for ages. Good in depth easily
understood sensible info: http://jthz.com/mp3/

Regards
Gary Walsh
torrents: http://johnpeelpages.blogspot.com