do you remember??

ken garner ken_garner@...
Fri Nov 16 16:01:53 CET 2007

That's right, what you have there, Steve, are almost certainly the shows of Mon 8 June
1981 through to Thurs 11 June 1981. Session sheets only indicate a repeat of BeBop
Deluxe (1st TX 17/3/75) on the Monday, but it sounds plausible that Walters would repeat
The Slits and some of those others. This is the only Radio Times-documented instance of
Walters depping for his presenter in 80-82, I think: before that they'd used Gambo, and
afterwards it was Mark Ellen, Muriel Gray, then Kershaw.

The unasked question is Why? - I suspect it was so Walters & Chris Lycett (who were acting
as a trio with Peel for producing everything emanating out of Egton 318 in 1980-82) could
put pressure on Peel to return the favour, and stand in for Walters Weekly (Sat 4-5pm, R1,
81-83) with the first series of Peel's Pleasures while Walters went on holiday that summer,
for 6 weeks from (roughly) the start of July to mid August that year.

So lister Colin Ellis was correct in something he told me offline, but which i Just ran out of
time to check before going to press in the summer, and therefore does not appear in the
shows index - yes, there was a first series of Peel's Pleasures in those weeks of summer
81. The shows I list in summer 82, and which exist in their entirety in the Mike Dick
collection of off-air tapes currently being digitised at Maida Vale, constituted the second
series

Steve - is it detectable from your tapes, in either the sound quality or the slickness of the
editing/links, for example, whether these are pre-recorded or live shows? I suspect
Walters would have pre-recorded them rather than stay in R1 til midnight. Are they really
good, snappy and funny, ie Walters at his best - or does he banter on and on? If the
former, it might be nice to hear them!

kg