[peel] Bandwidth issues

Riving Ton deedeeramain@...
Sun Nov 11 14:29:39 CET 2007

Hello Roger!

Is your firewall configured to allow an open port for your Torrent program? If it's not open then you will get abysmal rates but it makes a big difference if you are set up right!
The process of configuring the ports is known as 'port forwarding'. Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!
In your Torrent program 'Options', there should be a place where you can enter a port of your choice.
There are are a tad more than 65000 ports that your PC can communicate on and the lower range is used by well known programs. To avoid a conflict, we need to choose a port higher up the range (like 52000 for example).
You type in 52000 into BitTorrent and hit 'Apply' or 'OK'. Now; you need to exit the program and re-start it for the changes to apply.
If your PC is connected to the 'net directly, you should configure your firewall to allow the BitTorrent program to connect to the web and act as server. On my machine, I use the Zone Alarm firewall and Windows firewall is disabled. I simply tick a few boxes and that's my ports forwarded.
I also use a router and that has a built in firewall also. I have to access the configuration page of the router using my PC and navigate to the page where I can open ports for programs that need port forwarding (such as games, P2P etc). My router is a Linksys device. I have to type in the port I want to forward (52000 for example) and the IP address of my machine running BitTorrent. (Your IP address is dynamic. It changes if you boot up and connect to the router while there are other machines already using the router to access the web. It's best if you can assign a Static IP to your machine but if not, shut down all computers connected to the router. Now re-boot the router and your machine and connect to the router. In 'Start', hit the 'Run' button. Type 'cmd' in the box and in the next window that pops up, type in 'ipconfig'. Under the 'Ethernet Adapter' line you'll find your IP address. Use this to configure your router.
Save all changes and re-boot your router and PC.
When you start up your Torrent program, if your ports are configured right then you should see an improvement in D/L U/L rates.
(Your program should show somewhere whether your ports are 'open' or you are still 'fire-walled').
To make sure that you stay 'open' in future, you should ensure that you disconnect all the other computers using the router and then reboot the router before connecting your computer and starting your BitTorrent client. This ensures that you are assigned the same IP address that you forwarded your ports for. (Alternately; assign the same port forwarding for consecutive IP addresses so it doesn't matter in which order your computer connects to the router - you'll always find an open port at 52000).
Hope this helps!

Dee Dee

----- Original Message ----
From: Roger Carruthers <roger.carruthers@...>
To: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:41:57 PM
Subject: [peel] Bandwidth issues

I'm getting a pretty feeble download rate on Torrent 1 of 17, despite there
being 50 odd peers, and I would dearly like to get this one finished, so I
can make some space for the others.
I just noticed that the client I'm using, Transmission, has a default
upload limit, which can be changed, so I've reset it so that I can share
Torrent 2 (which is the one I agreed to keep up) more effectively.
I was just wondering therefore, if anyone seeding Torrent 1 might care to
do likewise, if their client has such a feature...?
If I understand correctly, upping your upload rate should not effect your
download rate - someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sadly, a colleague got busted at work not so long ago for file sharing, so
I'm now limited to using my home machine for this kind of activity. I am
leaving it running more or less night and day, but still looking at ETA's
measured in days rather than hours :-(

Thanks once again to all of you who are sharing these. I've compiled a
couple of audio DVD's out of compilation 2, and when I've finished tweaking
them (which may include the somewhat gargantuan task of including cover art
for every FF entry!), I'll upload these as disc images to save anyone else
of a similarly obsessive bent the trouble. This, incidentally is another
good reason for me to get compilation 1 finished, so I can do a 'Complete
Festive 50 DVD' series
Cheers
Roger