[peel] [OT] Save net radio!

Sean Carolan hubcity@...
Fri May 4 16:59:35 CEST 2007

Roger (and all),

Yep, I'm an interested party, faced with a horrific inflation in running costs
that, when you explain the situation to others, only leads to more questions
(and thus doesn't meet the bumper-sticker length that a successful protest
would require...)

As nasty as the situation is, however, it's going to be difficult for any
US-based "rights clearinghouse" to reach across an international boundary with
anything stronger than impotence to pursue non-US webcasts.  Which makes it an
even stupider set of rules.

I do find it funny that SoundExchange, the recording industry's proxy in this
fiasco, has suddenly begun "reaching out" to web radio and asking for
extensions to their deadlines.  The cynic in me thinks they're just letting go
of a dollar to get a tighter grip.  Then again, I also think they've come to
realize that by starting with a draconian position and allowing it to become
the settled rule, they've succeeded in setting up a situation that, if
enacted, will put them out of business.  Be careful what you ask for...

-Sean
 (the altrokradio.com guy - go ahead and listen; it's on me ;o)

On Fri, 04 May 2007 14:29:41 -0000, roger3905 wrote