[peel] Re: Those new polls on the site...

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Wed Mar 28 14:39:17 CEST 2007

Ken wrote

>  or, less
>likely (ii) the band did record a session in 81, but it was never
>broadcast. Looking back at my original correspondence, the person who
>confidently dates it in 83 (not 81, as the others) and id's the track
>titles as both your tape and www.dub.org does, is a credited
>contributor to the on-u website.

It's just possible this is what happened.  I can remember Peel saying
on the radio that they would have had more reggae sessions but the
BBC producers weren't good at getting them to sound right.  The classic
instance is that double session by Eek-A-Mouse for Jensen and
Peel which sound really odd because all they did was crank up the bass
and reggae production is a lot more subtle than that.  A year later
they'd definitely cracked it because the 1984 Eek-A-Mouse session
sounds majestic
So it is just possible that they went in to do a 1981 session with a
BBC producer and it sounded so terrible they wouldn't let it go
out.   Hence Adrian Sherwood coming with them in 1983
I guess the only way of knowing for sure is to ask Mr Sherwood

>PS. seeing as you were a fairly consistent listener, I am VERY much
>looking forward to anything your tape collection turns up with
>reference to my unknown/incomplete(?) dates file (downloadable from
>the files section of the peel news group website, everyone: remember
>all corrections/additions received get an acknowledgement in the
>book), especially for 81-83! By the way, does the way you taped
>session tracks enable you to identify for a show what (normally) both
>sessions were, or if there were definitely only one that night? My
>data suggests 18/8/83 also featured the debut session first broadcast
>by So You Think You're A Cowboy?*, for example, as well as NAS.

All of my sessions have been transcribed from the original tapes to
MP3s so I can't make exact comparisons but the 'So You Think' session
I have as dated  1-8-83  and as it is on the previous disc to the NAS
one I'd guess that was right
I have all the sessions filed under the band names so cross referencing
with your list is going to take a little while as I will have to do searches
on the dates

My immediate thought is that most of your dates probably contain repeats
I don't think he ever averaged more than a couple of new sessions a week
He would have liked a new session every show I'm sure but the cost had
to come out of the show's budget which wasn't very high.  That was the
impression I got anyway not having any inside knowledge.  I do remember
him complaining at one time that any record he got from the BBC library
had to be paid for from the budget
I'm not going to be able to tie this down as the dates I have are the dates
I recorded the sessions which of course would only once for each one

martinw