Those new polls on the site...

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Mar 28 10:58:43 CEST 2007

I think you're right, this is my growing hunch about what happened:
There was only one session, in 83, of the 4 tracks you have ('Send My
Love' aka Send for Me with Ari Up ex-Slits on vocals, 'The Riddle'
with Bim Sherman on vocals, plus 2 instrumentals called 'Not a
Nobody' and something like 'Peel Session 83 part one'). Steve
Barker's notes on the website after the first para are describing the
first album, and editing/presentation on the site has simply confused
the issue. The 1981 date is most probably an urban myth, most likely
because either (i) Steve's done that thing we all do in which
musically-treasured vague memories get accidentally post-dated a
little bit farther into the past than they were in fact; or, less
likely (ii) the band did record a session in 81, but it was never
broadcast. Looking back at my original correspondence, the person who
confidently dates it in 83 (not 81, as the others) and id's the track
titles as both your tape and www.dub.org does, is a credited
contributor to the on-u website.

I don't have any NAS records, most of my on-U stuff is later 80s
things like Dub Syndicate, the Barmy Army LP, Keith Le Blanc,
Tackkead, Little Axe; though the only one I actually do dig out and
play once in a while is Dr Pablo & the Dub Syndicate's 'North of
the River Thames' On-U LP30.

kg

PS. seeing as you were a fairly consistent listener, I am VERY much
looking forward to anything your tape collection turns up with
reference to my unknown/incomplete(?) dates file (downloadable from
the files section of the peel news group website, everyone: remember
all corrections/additions received get an acknowledgement in the
book), especially for 81-83! By the way, does the way you taped
session tracks enable you to identify for a show what (normally) both
sessions were, or if there were definitely only one that night? My
data suggests 18/8/83 also featured the debut session first broadcast
by So You Think You're A Cowboy?*, for example, as well as NAS.

*who could, incidentally, be another nomination as a One Session
Wonder, I note!