[peel] Re: Andy Kershaw is castaway

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Mar 19 17:15:19 CET 2007

At 10:29 19/03/2007, you wrote:

>Very interesting docu. I was quite surprised to find that
>AK is from quite a middle-class background (both parents were
>teachers, he went to a grammar school and university).

He first came to fame as the Social Secretary at Leeds University
where he booked and got to know a lot of bands.  When he left he
was Billy Bragg's roadie for awhile before joining Radio 1

>  Very
>likeable chap, affable.

If the stories are true only when you agree with him

>Sadly, they didn't explain why AK
>lives in the Isle of Man.
He's a motorcycling nut and has always gone to the Isle Of Man
for the races.  Took Peel with him a couple of times

>His fave music is a mixed, eccentric bag. A big Dolly Parton fan,
>he at least loves The Clash. I got the impression he likes old
>blues/americana/world-music more than 70'/80's new wave and punk.

The only punk bands he was interested in where those who
took a political stance like Clash and Gang Of Four.
He's always liked Dylan/Springsteen/Neil Young

martinw