F50 of 1977

dunelm61 dunelm@...
Tue Mar 6 22:01:06 CET 2007

Hello again, Ken.

Unfortunately I can't remember whether any of those specific records
were in the fifty or not. But here's a bit of old-fashioned
conjecture for you (for what it's worth) . . .

1. The NME Capital Radio freebie was made available in April 1977 and
so was certainly not played as a current, new or forthcoming release.
And Peel had already flagged it as one of his favourite records of
the year by including it in the 29/08/77 punk special. So if not a
Festive Fifty cert, it was certainly a contender.

2. Jocko Homo/Mongoloid was not officially released in the UK until
February 1978. So in a sense it was ineligible for the 1977 chart.
But the US release had been selling well on import since March 1977,
so it could have been included on that basis. So mark that one down
as a "possible".

3. African/Stepping Razor (from the Equal Rights LP) was released in
April 1977, so again would not have been played as a current, new or
forthcoming release. Which means there is a good chance that it was
played as part of the Festive Fifty.

4. Time Loves A Hero was released in May 1977 (I'm not sure it's a
live LP, though), so again we're not talking about a current, new or
forthcoming release. And of course Peel adored Little Feat, so Rocket
In My Pocket may well have appeared in his personal Festive Fifty.

The fact that all four records date back to the early part of 1977
suggests to me that the schedule was part of a structured review of
the year as a whole – the tracks are not interspersed with old
favourites or current/new/forthcoming releases – and my guess is that
we're looking at consecutive selections in Peel's 1977 Festive Fifty.

As regards Green Onions (from Loading Zone, I believe), this is
certainly a 1977 release. However, when it comes to the Festive
Fifty, fifty has always meant fifty. So I'm not sure we need worry
about a number 61!

I'm not sure if the above analysis is of any assistance to you or
not. If there are any sections of the scripts which remain ambiguous,
please post them here – there may be someone who can light the way!

Regards.

Adrian Barber.