not dead, am doing a book

Jimmy jimmystep@...
Tue Mar 6 02:15:21 CET 2007

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Stuart McHugh <stuart@...> wrote:

> What I can recall is that he did it in rundown stylee, I can still
> remember my shock at The Motors appearing at 3 and then at 1 as well!
> (He'd dropped hints about the top of the chart so I can remember
> expecting 'Dancing the Night Away' being up there due to earlier
> comments and airplay, and 'Uptopwn Top Ranking' being a shoo-in, but
> 'You Beat The Hell Outtta Me' was something of a surprise!)

Aaah common... The Motors were the perfect transition from the old to
new in a pop stylee... Great pop music along side Elvis C's stuff and
the Tyla Gang from the time. It was the energy that got us going.
Thats why he was playing Blue Oyster Cult alongside The Motors!
Anyroads, can't help with that festive 50 from 77. Omly tape I have is
dated 28/12/77 (I must have have better things to do at the age of
22!) and this is a sort of best of sessions which takes up about 40
minutes. This has been edited by myself at the time. Usually recorded
it on timer then dubbed the sessions over to another tape. Anyway,
broadcast on the 28th Dec 77, according to me, were parts of sessions
by The Vibrators, Elvis, Lurkers, Slits, Poodles, Boomtown Rats, June
Tabor & Colliseum II. This means that, if it was a 2 hour session and
I hadn't got in after the pubs shut at 10:00 (or was it 11 by then ?).
The June Tabor track "No Mans Land" reduced me to tears again, as it
did the first time I heard it and every time subsequently. I cannot
say for definite, but I think that JP played the ColliseumII track
"Lament" after the June Tabor track to carry home the anti war effect...

Summary, at least on the 28th Dec 77 JP broadcast a best of session.
He could have had it interspersed with top fifty tracks, I cannot
remember specificaly, as I was too busy getting pissed/stoned at the
time.

Cheers....Jimmy