not dead, am doing a book

ken_garner ken_garner@...
Sun Mar 4 19:45:23 CET 2007

Thanks for the thoughts. Here are mine:

1. Yes, 29/8/77 was the second punk special (the first had been on
Friday 10/12/76 with The Damned's debut session). I don't know we can
fit in entire running orders in the book, but here's what I have in the
draft of the book's day-by-day index, a very long entry by the standards
of what we're proposing (simply to squeeze it all in the book we've
decided to restrict most individual show entries to a maximum of two
lines of our 3 column design, or about 14 words!):

M 29/8 Squeeze (Cortinas, Generation X, XTC); 2nd punk special: records
by Sex Pistols, Vibrators, Stranglers, Clash, Models, Desperate
Bicycles, Buzzcocks, Adverts, Users, Nosebleeds, Jam, The Table,
Chelsea, Slaughter and the dogs, Boys, Rezillos...

Sounds a nifty show, eh?, though I shan't pretend I remember it myself
(unlike the first): Squeeze's debut session, plus repeats of the recent
first sessions from The Cortinas, Generation X and XTC, plus all those
records. The key thing here is the word 'special'. Most shows then, even
up to the end of 77, mixed 'straight' bands in session, with punk.

2. I fear this one, the, shall we call it 'Fictitious Fifty' of 1977,
shall run and run. Unless fellow listers can help me nail it down for
once and for all, that is... OK, you're right, he played his favourite
records of the year, and 13 of these have been known for some time. What
is in doubt is both the status of those 13 and whether there were
others. Once again, I don't remember this week of shows at all (although
I do have clear memories of both 76 and 78, bizarrely), so, before I dig
out those PasBs from my archive, can I ask anyone who does remember
anything at all about Christmas/New Year 77 shows to answer the
following questions:

Did Peel present those top 13 as a rundown, leading to a number 1? Or
just as some of his favourites?

Did he say in other shows that week that he was playing his favourite
records of the year?

So were there other favourites, beyond the 'top' 13, on other nights,
and were they presented as a countdown?

And if that was the case, even if you can't remember any of the records,
does anyone remember a number he started at?

I ask all that because the PasBs never include what the presenter says.
They are just a list of musical items in sequence. Without the context,
you could read all kinds of things into them that simply aren't true. I
look forward to seeing if anyone can help me know what to look for...

3. That's a great idea! I must admit I've never seen the original in its
entirety, but I have on tape an amusing interview with Walters all about
the making of it. I'll forward that suggestion to Alison Howe (see
earlier post) who was also responsible for the Peel Night on BBC2 and
the Peel tributes on BBC4 and BBC2 since his death. I'm sure she'll be
pitching/planning something for Peel Day to the network controllers...

KG