[peel] Re: A flock of seagull

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Jun 25 16:49:39 CEST 2007

At 10:36 25/06/2007, Paul wrote:

> > Can someone explain the concept of something sounding
> > "dated" ? I mean, I myself listen to a lot of stuff
> > from the 1920s and 30s. Are the Beatles dated? Is
> > everything dated?

and Stuart replied

>fair point - though in the case of 80s synth-based music I reckon it
>sounds dated because the keyboards and effects and whatnot do sound
>rather technologically naive - to varying levels (Kelly Marie
>syndrums, anyone?)

Dated carries bad implications.   A better distinction would
be 'of it's era" and 'Not of it's era"    An of it's era record
is one where you need the context to appreciate it - Flock
Of Seagulls would be an example of this.   'Not of it's
era' is a record that is timeless and can be played anytime
without context

martinw