A flock of seagull

Stuart McHugh stuart@...
Mon Jun 25 11:36:58 CEST 2007

> Can someone explain the concept of something sounding
> "dated" ? I mean, I myself listen to a lot of stuff
> from the 1920s and 30s. Are the Beatles dated? Is
> everything dated?
fair point - though in the case of 80s synth-based music I reckon it
sounds dated because the keyboards and effects and whatnot do sound
rather technologically naive - to varying levels (Kelly Marie
syndrums, anyone?)
Plus the 80s (synthpop division, not The Smiths etc) had a
distinctive 'sound' which isn't looked upon very fondly now (my
comment about best of a bad bunch puts AFoS ahead of Howard Jones,
Duran Duran etc). Whereas Leadbelly does sound dated, but in a good way.

Off that topic, saw Devo last night. Can't decide if they sound dated
in any way, you can hear their sound in many current bands. Something
which Devo are acutely aware of!