Tubular Bells TX Top Gear 29/5/73

Andrew Dean koogy@...
Mon Jun 25 17:15:09 CEST 2007

>>I can't now remember - what did Andy Kershaw do to get
>>fired? Or "let go"?

> Kershaw would loose his temper anytime Radio 1 wanted to
> make any changes to his prog.  He'd do things like write
> aggressively anti-BBC articles in the Guardian and Observer
> and threaten to resign.  Eventually they got fed up and called his bluff
>
> The irony is that he's ended up at Radio 3 in exactly the sort
> of time slot that he complained about so much at Radio 1

kershaw did strike me as antagonistic at times, especially this, which
probably didn't go down too well at the beeb:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/johnpeel/story/0,,1590948,00.html

When Peel died, Kershaw gave Channel 4 News an interview recounting their
last conversation. "I said to him [that] he didn't look too good. And he
said, 'No, I feel terrible.' He had been diagnosed diabetic a couple of
years ago, and he was also finding it really hard that Radio 1 had moved him
even later into the night. Marginalised is the correct word. [It] pushed him
from 11pm to one o'clock in the morning and he actually said, 'It's killing
me.'" Yesterday Kershaw stood by the comments. "I'm not going to go down
that road again," he said. "But it's all on public record. I don't retract a
word of what I said because I was merely reporting what he said to me."

andy