[peel] Re: Tubular Bells TX Top Gear 29/5/73

cannon alan ajcauk@...
Sat Jun 23 16:42:17 CEST 2007

I think by this time at the tender age of 19 i
instinctively had made the step of deciding what to
listen to off my own bat and bought Tubular Bells on
the strength of Oldfield's work with Kevin Ayers and
the Whole World plus the fact that Viv Stanshall had a
cameo role on it. Also i actively (even then) sought
long pieces with classical pretensions. I subsequently
played the album in it's entirety to the student
household in which i resided; within a week or two it
was big hit and instantly uncool thereby. Evenso
having paid good money it wasn't going stop me playing
it to death. There are very few records that don't
pall after a while and that are truly timeless;
doesn't mean i have to sneer at them in retrospect.
 I still like to hear that Flock of Seagulls
photograph song every now and then for instance; not
bad as 3 minute ditties go and for the life of me i
can't hear the haircut part on it.
    alanjc

--- Martin Wheatley <martinw@...>