[OT] [Altrok] Update #167: Support Your Local Web Radio Station!

hubcity@... hubcity@...
Mon Jul 23 13:23:08 CEST 2007

Folks,

Firstly, the important stuff:

Altrok Radio is at http://www.altrokradio.com

Please remember to tune in whenever you can - every hour you listen turns into more visibility for the station; we show up higher in search listings, and such like that.  And if you'd like to help us keep the stream running, check out the advertisers if they appeal to you; your interest actually helps fund us.

So then, in another stunning attempt to illustrate what's so great about Altrok Radio, let's sidestep our tendency to play a lot of the music that's currently defining the jagged edge of underground pop culture, and focus on our classics.

Our classics are the songs that signify thirty years of rock innovation.  Starting with those who rebelled against the bloated, self-important stasis of the rock scene in the seventies, continuing with the artists who stood against empty pop in the eighties, and who clued in early that alternative rock itself had become bloated and self-important by the late nineties.  So when we play The Ramones, The Clash, Buzzcocks, Gang Of Four, The Cure, The Smiths, The Pixies, and P.J. Harvey, it's because we know their music remains relevant.

We play our classics not only because they're great, but because, so many years hence, they still have something to say - and our current music is evidence that someone's listening.

(And when we do it all day on Altrok's Eighties Friday, that goes double.)

All that said, bet you're wondering what classic and new songs we've added...

This week, our Grinders (the stuff we play heavily) include music from:

 - The Polyphonic Spree
 - Lismore
 - Scissors For Lefty
 - The Cribs
 - Kate Nash
 - Travis

Plus we've got newly-added music:

 - Air Traffic - No More Running Away - Fractured Life
 - An Angle - Clean And Gold - The Truth Is That You Are Alive
 - Art Brut - St Pauli - It's A Bit Complicated
 - Chemical Brothers - All Rights Reversed (feat. Klaxons) - We Are The Night
 - Digitalism - I Want I Want - Idealism
 - Editors - An End Has A Start - An End Has A Start
 - Val Emmich - Break - Songs, Volume 1; Woodstock
 - The Front - Social Bat - Smiles & Handshakes
 - Health - Crimewave - Health & Crystal Castles (Split 7'')
 - Interpol - Who Do You Think - Our Love To Admire
 - IO Perry - Everyday - Split Yourself In Two
 - Poison Control Center - Glory Us - MP3 Demo
 - Silversun Pickups - Well Thought Out Twinkles - Carnavas
 - St. Vincent - Now. Now. - Marry Me
 - White Rabbits - Kid On My Shoulders - Fort Nightly

Our Newly-Added Classics:

 - A Blind Dog Stares - Thru The Fence - 12'' Single
 - Bauhaus - Spirit - The Sky's Gone Out
 - The Clash - The Guns Of Brixton - London Calling
 - Depeche Mode - Dreaming Of Me - Speak & Spell
 - Earlimart - We Drink On The Job - Everyone Down Here
 - Flesh For Lulu - Siamese Twist - Long Live The New Flesh
 - The Lightning Seeds - Love Explosion - cloudcuckooland
 - Passion Puppets - Like Dust - Beyond The Pale
 - The Stone Roses - Fools Gold - Stone Roses

As always, thanks for listening!

- Sean Carolan
  Altrok Radio
  On your computer right now at http://www.altrokradio.com
  On the radio Fridays at 10pm, at 90.5 The Night