[peel] Re: Ken Garner

Martin Wheatley mwheatley@...
Sun Feb 18 19:04:53 CET 2007

At 15:38 18/02/2007, dunelm61  wrote:

>But why stop at the sessions? Presumably someone such as Mr Garner
>has access to all of the PasB (programme-as-broadcast) sheets kept at
>BBC Written Archives in Caversham. These list every item that was
>played, in order; giving artist, title, duration, composer and
>publisher; with label and catalogue number, for commercial records.
He had access to them for awhile some years ago but that was
under Peel's sponsorship.  Whether he still has access we don't know

>Call me a train spotter, but for me that really would be the mother
>lode: the running order of every show broadcast by Peel at the BBC.
>Surely the potential market for such a tome would be considerable –

Considerable?   Such a book would be about 1500 pages and would need to
be extensively cross indexed.  It would be a huge amount of work and
very expensive.  It would probably cost more pounds than it would sell
copies

In this day and age the Internet is probably more realistic
For one thing it's easier to search any info that is put up
We already have the session info up
The playlists are stopped because computers can't grab info out
of thin air.   Someone who had access to the info would have to
type in 35 years worth of playlists.  And who is going to pay for this
The BBC aren't going to - they would think they have done more than
their bit by financing the session info site

We don't know if this will be a straight reprint of Ken's book
or whether it add the missing years.   My guess is a straight reprint

If it does turn out to be a straight reprint
maybe the most valuable thing that can be
done is for someone with a large hard disc to try and copy all the
missing session info from the BBC site.   The cynic in me suggests
that that site won't last forever - possibly only until they next update
the servers which with Vista on the horizon might not be that long
Remember that Peel is history to Radio 1 and not something they
have any further interest in

martinw