[peel] Re: Ken Garner

tony donaghey tonydonaghey@...
Sat Feb 17 23:06:10 CET 2007

I can vouch that self publishing/small publishing is a way to go. A few years back Kevin Coyne from his home in Germany asked for some help with finding a British publisher. I ended up publishing his book That Old Suburban Angst which is readily available from Amazon, e-bay or kevincoynebooks.com.
  If your still reading this you might be interested in the myspace page which is currently featuring the Kevin Coyne tribute album Whispers From The Offing. The 4 songs posted include Alternative TV and Kevin Hewick whilst the album itself also has Nikki Sudden, Jowe Head, Nigel Burch, Chris Connelly, Dave Russel, Leo O'Kelly and Jackie Leven. www.myspace.com/kevincoynebookscom
  Tony

Tom Roche <troche@...> wrote:
          Wasn't Garner himself on this list for a brief time awhile ago? If
he's smart he should start his next book's marketing campaign here,
ha.

The book publishing work is changing. As the steep costs of book
self-publishing have dwindled, a lot of authors just go out on their
own, even after a legit publisher takes a pass on an idea claiming
there will be no money in it. I wonder if that is Garner's position,
or if he has a traditional publisher lined up.

There was an interesting piece in the NY Times last year about some
self-publishing successes on specialized music reference books about
The Beatles. Some authors were told that the world had enough books
on the Beatles (I would have concurred.) They put out the books
themselves and it's been quite lucrative.

The whole Times story is behind their pay wall or else I'd just
include a link... so...

I'll post it in a 2nd message -- recognizing fully this is not a
Beatles list. And I'll even volunteer that is just barmy to pay good
money to find out what George Harrison had for breakfast on 3/19/68.
Still, it is an interesting back story...I'll put OT in the subject
if you want to blow by it.

tom r
atlanta