Peel Chhosing the Records himself?

ken garner ken_garner@...
Fri Dec 7 13:30:51 CET 2007

er, yes it was in the book, Stu, but spread out over the chapters
where relevant as to when the arrangements changed. Producers always
booked and approved the session bands, but from mid-70s onwards
mostly at Peel's recommendations / requests. AS regards the records
and the main running order, essentially I think it went like this:

1967-1982
Producers (Bernie Andrews, John Muir, John Walters, Chris Lycett)
decided final running order and yes and no on individual records,
while Peel (mostly) selected and chose/ recommmended the records. In
first few months of R1 in late 67 and into early 68 Bernie selected
and programmed most of Top Gear, with Peel having a stronger
influence and input as the weeks went on.

1983
Jan-March: Peel did own running orders for first time under producer
Trevor Dann

1983-1991
(walters again)
Peel drafted running orders, Walters revised and tweaked... and then
sometimes on air Peel ignored his revisions!

Summer 1991 onwards
(producers successively Mike Hawkes, Alison Howe, Anita Kamath,
Louise Kattenhorn)
Peel did own running orders more or less unedited / unrevised by
remaining producers, who still of course coordinated the whole show
including session and live elements, especially for outside
broadcasts / live concert sets

kg