One week to go on Best Of The Best Of the Best

ken garner ken_garner@...
Wed Dec 5 13:59:01 CET 2007

pretty impressive list, phil, I think we'd cross over on quite a few
of those. I wonder if this suggests if Steve had asked us all for a
top 20 or even 30 (30 votes for number 1, 29 for number 2 etc) that
might have produced more response? I could imagine doing a top 20
myself, but like everyone else, I'd struggle to get it down to a top
3 only... But Dreadzone's Maximum (session track) would def be in
there

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Edwards" <festive50@...> wrote:

> Whittled my selection down to 25 tracks.
> So I'll work on whittling these down to the final 3.
> So far, I have.
>
>  Neil Young - Cortez The Killer - 1976/12
>  Roy Harper - When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease - 1976/47
>  The Ruts - Babylon's Burning - 1979/47
>  Laurie Anderson - O Superman - 1981/34 and 1982/42
>  Colourbox - The Official Colourbox World Cup Theme - 1986/46
>  Barmy Army - Sharp As A Needle - 198717
>  Public Enemy You're Gonna Get Yours (Terminator X Dub Getaway) -
1987/38
>  Overlord X - 14 Days In May - 1988/28
>  The Orb - Loving You (Session) - 1990/10
>  Wedding - Present Corduroy - 1990/9
>  Sonic Youth - Kool Thing - 1990/40
>  Bang Bang - Machine Geek Love - 1992/1
>  Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy - Television The Drug Of A Nation -
 1992/38
>  Future Sound Of London - Papua New Guinea - 1992/11
>  PJ Harvey - Down By The Water 1995/17
>  Orbital - The Box - 1996/7
>  Arab Strap - First Big Weekend - 1996/2
>  Stereolab & Nurse With Wound - Simple Headphone Mind - 1997/14
>  The Fall - Dr Buck's Letter - 2000/3
>  Schneider TM vs KPT michi.gan - The Light 3000 - 200/8
>  Low - Dinosaur Act - 2000/11
>  Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding - 2000/11 (Millenium All Time)
>  Half Man, Half Biscuit - Breaking News - 2002/38
>  Jeffrey Lewis - The Chelsea Hotel Oral Sex Song - 2002/23
>  Asa-Chang & Junray - Hana 2002/17
>
> Now comes the hard part, picking my favourite 3 tracks
Of Ian
> Wilson
>   Sent: 05 December 2007 00:54
>   To: peel@yahoogroups.com
>   Subject: Re: [peel] Re: One week to go on Best Of The Best Of the
Best

>   ....earlier today I was listening to one of the 1981 shows
courtesy of the
> torrents currently available.....
>
>   ....a track was introduced by John along the lines of "here's an
oldie, I
> know you like to hear a familiar record from time to time and so do
I...."

>   For me the Peel shows blended a fair amount of old stuff with a
plentiful
> amount of the new - I learnt to appreciate the blues purely through
the odd
> old track he slipped into his programmes....so playing a 30 yr old
Blues
> track in 1977 is in my opinion no different to playing Teenage
Kicks today
> in that it may introduce it to a whole new audience. But that's not
entirely
> the point I want to make.
>
>   True, the festive 50's often threw up a fairly predictable
collection of
> tracks, but at least they were tracks current in that year, and
relevant for
> that year. But that is precisely why i have trouble picking 3 best
ones -
> Steve, I appreciate your efforts in putting this together, and look
forward
> to seeing the results, but I honestly cant pick a top 3 (or 4, or 5
or 6!),
> and I think that judging by your disappointing response a lot of
other
> people feel the same. I'll try though!
>
>   Ian.
>

>   On 05/12/2007, Dave Driscoll <ddriscoll@...> wrote:
>
>     I haven't any documentary evidence to hand...
>     But I will take a punt
>     If the poor old bugger was still here
>     I suspect he would still play TEENAGE KICKS
>     .....In moderation

Best

>       Sorry, rocker, but I cannot go along with what you say.  I
have
> already discussed this question here .  There are an awful lot of
> suppositions in your argument ('would have', 'probably', 'if he
was'): do
> you have any documentary evidence to back this up? Still, I respect
your
> opinion, and, as I have said, JP did get fed up, not with the chart
itself,
> but the choices his audience made, hence the 'white boys with
guitars'
> quote. Nevertheless, with a few exceptions, the chart was composed
of stuff
> that he had played-so how can you blame people for voting for it?
Why would